Monday, August 3, 2009

The Best Chicken Rub Ever

Really. Seriously. This is the best thing I have ever put on chicken in my life. EVER. First of all, it was part of my first time butterflying a chicken. What's that? Yeah, that's what I thought at first too! But then one of my favorite bloggers detailed how she did it on Pinch My Salt. So, in case you're clueless like I was, it's simply cutting a whole chicken down the middle so you can spread it out flat. An EXCELLENT way to prepare a whole chicken for the grill! Wanna learn how? Watch the video from The Virtual Weber Bullet.



I also liked the idea on Pinch My Salt about using some fresh herbs & garlic to marinate the chicken. I didn't have time to marinate and I didn't want the added oil, but I did have tons of fresh herbs in my garden. So here's what I did:

The Best Chicken Rub Ever
1 T fresh rosemary
4 fresh (not dried) garlic cloves
1 T fresh parsley
1 T fresh thyme

Put all ingredients in a small food chopper and blend until chopped well. Cover the underside of chicken with about half of the rub. Turn the chicken over, and slide your fingers under the skin to distribute the other half of the rub between the skin and the meat. Throw it on the grill over medium-low heat, grill for 20-25 minutes, flipping sides in the middle, and voila!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I do a similar rub, but I also add some salt & pepper, and a little bit of oil. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a honey/lemon/butter/fresh thyme thing on my grilled chicken and it's awesome! I do chicken halves though - cut out the backbone then cut through the breastbone - I find it easier than butterflying to flip the chicken, etc. I am really suprised at the cooking time though Heather - over medium low heat on my gas Weber it takes about an hour and 15 minutes - was yours really done after 25 min?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think it gets done more quickly because I used the "brick" method detailed on Pinch the salt - basically cover two bricks (or in my case two large stones) with aluminum foil and put on top of the chicken while it grills. It seems like the bricks/stones get hot and help speed up the cooking. That's my guess anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did I not think of doing this for my chicken? I normally use these ingredients to brine chicken for roasting but I have never thought of chopping them and actually using them as a rub specially for smaller pieces. I'm sure it's faster and I'm sure it tastes great too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing this for a while (when herbs are plentiful). My wife LOVES this. I put deep scores into chicken breasts and rub them with a similar rub with olive oil as well. Then cook them in the George Foreman grill.... Low fat and uber tasty!!!

    ReplyDelete