Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Two Small Victories

Today I dropped off my bike at the repair shop for a tune up and a few minor repairs. Believe it or not it hasn't been ridden in over four years! It's definitely in need of a bit of TLC. In a couple of days I'll be able to pick it up and take it for a spin - let's hope I remember how! Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be up for doing my first commute to work via bike!

Another not so minor victory today - I used up the last of my CSA share! Well, sort of. I did have one small bit of sorrel that went bad. I was going to use it in a quiche with my tiny bit of remaining ramps. Instead I used the last few stalks of my asparagus with the ramps and a bit of chives. I must say it is excellent!

Here's the recipe I tailored myself following some guidance from my How to Cook Everything cookbook. (I LOVE that book!)

Asparagus and Ramp Quiche

1 frozen pie crust (I use Pillsbury)
6 eggs
2 cups heavy cream (or 2 c any combination cream, milk and/or half and half)
5-6 stalks of asparagus, coarsely chopped
3 ramps, white part finely chopped, stalk and leaves chopped
1-2 cups of cheese, shredded (I hear goat cheese is excellent. I used part sheep cheese, part cranberry cheddar because that's what I had on hand. Really this is rare! I am normally a plain cheddar and/or mozz kinda gal but we recently took a trip to Wisconsin and stopped off at a wonderful cheese shop on the way home!)
1-2 T of vegetable oil
4-6 chives, with bud, finely chopped

Cook white part of ramps in 1-2 T oil over medium-high heat until they start to brown. Lower heat to medium and add remaining parts of the ramps, and asparagus. When asparagus starts to soften, add chives and cook for 1 additional minute. Put vegetable mixture on a plate to cool.

Unroll pie shell into a deep dish pie plate. (If you do not have a deep dish pie plate as I didn't, you will have some extra filling that you can bake without a crust in another small baking dish if you like. ) Poke the pie shell with a fork all over and pre-bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes or until just starting to brown. Remove from oven and lower temp to 325 degrees.

While pie shell is cooking, mix eggs in a medium bowl. Heat cream in small sauce pan just until barely warmed, add to eggs. Add cheese, and the cooled vegetable mixture.

Pour quiche mixture into the pre-baked pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 30-40 minutes, until set. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment